A COMMANDING PRESENCE (REVISED and REVISITED)

I long to be that somebody who can control a room simply by entering it. I desire the pervasive, penetrating presence without a conceited or pompous "air" about me. My hope, prayer and now practice is that the way I carry myself would exude a stronger example of Christ's Presence in my life, but even more-so on my personage. 

2 Corinthians 2:16 says, that believers in Christ Jesus should have a "Heavenly Scent" about them that is so pleasing that it draws all people to them. 
  • "To the one we are an aroma that brings death; to the other, an aroma that brings life. And who is equal to such a task?" 
I also believe, as Matthew 5:15 says, that believers should be a light to the world and especially within their own household. 
  •  "Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." 
However, I desire to radiate more of God's Presence in my life SO THAT others may take notice of the difference, inquire and consider a change themselves.

In Scripture, there are those like Moses who is known for his faithfulness (Nu. 12:4-8). There is Solomon who is known for requesting wisdom to rule God's people (1 Kings 3). We read about Hezekiah as a great kingly model in 2 Kings 18:3-8. These are all wonderful men who each had their own respected air about them, brought on them by the position they held in the community.

However, what about Daniel, Peter and Paul. Daniel was noted by the angel Gabriel as being "esteemed". Daniel was regarded this way not only on earth, but Gabriel tells him three times - 9:23; 10:11, 19 - that Heaven deems him esteemed. I believe this notoriety was due to his time abiding with God in prayer and having a policy of no compromise.

Peter was seen as "highly regarded by people" in Acts 5:13-15. God's healing power was displayed even in Peter's shadow as a great way to showcase The Commanding Presence of God in Peter's life and person. Here again, this ministry of power comes from a close relationship that Peter had with Jesus. 

We receive a heavy dose of God's Presence exemplified in Paul's life and person as we read his letter to the believers in Rome. Romans 8:38-39 says, 
  • "I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Paul went through much hardship in his adult years. His suffering for Christ's sake was even foretold to Ananias by The Lord (Acts 9:15-16). However, it is not just Paul's spoken words that I am sure gave people inspiration. It is not just his and The Holy Spirit's written words that brought many direction and enlightenment. But when I observe Paul's life and hear him say - "I am convinced" - I know that life is the instrument and God is the Teacher of what I am to be convinced.

I would venture to say that the Commanding Presence I seek and Authority that comes with it is derived from God-given experience or opportunities. Those experiences are excellent times to Practice His Presence, His Posture and His Perspective. When we use our verbal and non-verbal skills, we need to take care these are screened through His Holy Spirit, through His Presence. We take Christ everywhere as His Ambassadors. As often as we can, we need to remind ourselves of the position or Posture we have because of Christ and through Christ Jesus. We are seated together with Him in heavenly places. What a privilege and responsibility. We also must always do our best to keep His Perspective as our own - loving the world into His Kingdom.

Looking at Jesus as our ultimate authoritative example, authority was no stranger to Him - 
  • "When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law." (Matthew 7:28-29)
The Good News here is that His authority did not stop with Him, He shares it with those who believe in Him as their personal Lord and Savior - 
  • "And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus..." (Ephesians 2:6). 
Also, Romans 8:37 assures believers - "in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." So, when I walk into a room I want people to "smell a Heavenly scent", "see a Heavenly light" and hear the Godly authority I have in Him.

If you too desire this, A Commanding Presence begins by abiding in Christ, the True Vine (John 15:5). It is not enough to be "religious". My life must reflect my beliefs, teachings and songs I sing. It is one thing to hear a great orator speak on any topic and be convinced or swayed on the idea presented simply because he/she is an excellent word-smith. But there is a totally different power behind a speaker or author who has experienced what they are convincing you about. This is the authority Christians have with their Testimony. This is the Power Christians have because of Christ's blood. This is the Presence that Christians have continually available to their lives. 

Walking into any room, my desire is to introduce you to Jesus Christ without any words if possible. If you had "spiritual glasses" on - I would want you to see Jesus walk-in with me and speak through me in whatever atmosphere is given. I would want you to know and experience me as a Heavenly scent and light in your midst. I believe the more I find ways to keep close to Christ and abide in His Word daily - He will grant me A Commanding Presence.

Comments