FOR YOU


As far as relationships go - God knows everything about me. I still have all of eternity to get to know my Savior, God and King, but I thank Him that He has provided me that privilege. My favorite Psalm, Psalm 139, speaks to God's side of my relationship. It declares...

  1. You know my thoughts before I speak them. (v.4)
  2. You know where I am for You are always with me. (v.7-12)
  3. You created me in your mind's eye and knew all my days before anybody else. (v.16)
This seems kind of a useless relationship when one side knows everything about the other, even what the other person is about to say - I might as well not speak. Yet, the Holy Spirit had Paul write - "For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together." (Colossians 1:16-17)

Paul, in this condensed version of Psalm 139, affirms God as Creator, Sustainer and Purpose of all things. I cannot do anything about God knowing my thoughts before I speak them or always being with me or creating opportunities for me daily and sustaining my life breath by breath. However, I can investigate what it means to be created "for Him".

You see, toward the end of Psalm 139, David stops viewing God's relationship as Creator and himself as the created and continues to portray God as an active good agent moving forward in his life. David said, "How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand— when I awake, I am still with you." (Psalm 139:17-18)

Such words as "precious", "vast", "count" and "outnumber" all describe God's "thoughts" toward David and toward us. His mercies are new every morning. And look, He never leaves you or forsakes you. Which is motivation in this Psalm for action on David's part. At the very end of Psalm 139, we see David desiring God to search him, gut out any offensive way and lead him in the way everlasting, not the way that is just for now.

This is where we can start with the investigation of what it means to be created "for Him" - humble ourselves and pursue Him. Jesus gave the template - "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." (Matthew 7:7-8) 

Dear Lord, I ask for you to reveal to me what I can do for you. You died for me, I'll live for you. Savior, I seek your presence, revelation and hand, if need be, to show me what I need to do for you or where I need to be. Please, bless me with your wisdom, knowledge, courage, understanding, patience and love concerning this request. Jesus, I prophetically knock on the door of opportunity to do For You.

Comments