HIS LIGHTHOUSES

The Disciple John recalls - "When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'(John 8:12)

Ronnie Hinson best penned a description of this verse when he wrote a song that says....

There's a lighthouse on the hillside that overlooks life's sea.
When I'm tossed it sends out a light that I might see.
And the light that shines in darkness now will safely lead me home. 
If it wasn't for the lighthouse, my ship would sail no more.

Chorus
And I thank God for The Lighthouse, I owe my life to Him.
Jesus is The Lighthouse and from the rocks of sin,
He has shown the light around me, so that I might clearly see.
If it wasn't for The Lighthouse (Tell me) Where would this ship be?

Everyone that lives around us, says tear that old lighthouse down.
The big ships don't sail this way anymore, ain't no use in it standing round.
But then my mind goes back to that stormy night, when just in time I saw the light.
It was the light from that old lighthouse, that stands there on the hill.

Repeat Chorus

The song is called "The Lighthouse" and it has been sung by many groups, among them The Happy Goodmans.
Father God has established Christ Jesus as The Lighthouse for our minds, bodies and souls.  "And by that will [the will of The Father], we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." (Hebrews 10:10) However, the Lord does not stop saving us. Our eternity and blessings thereof were secured in His persecution, crucifixion and resurrection. But now He infuses, indwells, empowers and ignites His believers with His Light, His Holy Spirit - making Christians His Lighthouses. Why? To help others struggling in life. To pass-the-torch, so to speak.

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." - Matthew 5:13-15

"In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:16

As additional Lighthouses or Ships with very bright Lanterns, we can be used of God to shine His light so that the "rocks of sin" in life can be avoided. Luke goes a step further and quotes Jesus as He warns against our Light not being "darkness".  

"See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness." - Luke 11:35

The original word for "darkness" is skotos and means shadiness; shaded; obscure; dim. So, do not allow The Light given you to be corrupted in any way. Make sure it is clear and bright. Others need His Light revealed and passed on to them and we are His Lighthouses.

Comments