THE GREAT BLANKET

Growing up many of us had security blankets. Some of us felt most safe and/or comfortable with a special toy, sport or place, like a tree-house outside or an inside fort. I would dare to assume that many of us, like Linus Van Pelt, actually had a blanket as his/her security blanket and may still have it.

Let me hone in on the blanket a moment, because I am guilty on this one. What is it about The Blanket that keeps me coming back for more? For me, the texture of my blanket is incredible and the size and thickness is perfect. It is not going to be too hot or not warm enough for me. Plus, it is Carolina Blue - of course. I imagine many of us take texture into consideration, but also look at design - like sports, religion or old fashion designs as part of the draw to our snugly partners.

I don't think it is to far fetched an idea that psychologists submit the security blanket is a reverting back to the womb action or reaction. The womb was for many, not all I realize, a place of comfort and protection. Do we not at least think we achieve the same things with The Blanket at times? I have seen The Blanket used for protection in scary movies and cold weather. I have seen The Blanket used for comfort in times of sickness, sleep and even a roof for inside tents/forts. So, the evidence is there - The Blanket is a security blanket.

However, I wanted to encourage my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ that we have a Greater Blanket. I don't recall ever calling God, nor ever finding any support for calling God - The Great Blanket, but leave it to me to come through in that category. With the idea that God covers and/or surrounds the believer with His presence and blessings, Scripture immediately comes to support this idea.

In Psalm 91 we see word pictures that reference God in a security image - Fortress, Refuge, Shelter, and Shield. These are characteristics of God as our Blanket that we can run to and throw Him around ourselves. Plus, we do not have to go to any special place to access our Great Blanket or Fortress, Refuge, Shelter or Shield. Scripture in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 states, "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." This verse says we carry the Great Blanket, the Holy Spirit, wherever we go and because of the great price that was paid for that privilege we should honor God with our bodies. 

How do we honor God with our bodies? One way is to daily wrap ourselves up in Him as our Great Blanket. Whether you need to wrap up in Him as your Healing Blanket, Providing Blanket, Protection Blanket, Peace Blanket or Whatever Blanket - His threads are woven to provide all your needs. So, grab a nice beverage, go to a place of non-distraction and wrap yourself up with The Great Blanket.

Comments