GOD FRIEND, WARRIOR BRIDE

The Ecclesia or followers of Christ are titled a few things in Scripture. For a while they were known as followers of The Way (Acts 9:2; 19:9, 23; 22:4; 24:14, 22; 25:3). We find out The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch (Acts 11:26). However, there were a few more descriptive names He gave us - children, sheep, friend, soldier/warrior in God's army and bride.

Children
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. (1 John 3:1)

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. (Matthew 5:9)

Sheep
When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching them many things. (Mark 6:34)

“I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me—just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd." (John 10:14-16)

Friend
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. (John 15:15)

Soldier/Warrior
The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. (Revelation 19:14)

Bride
Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear. (Revelation 19:7-8)

There are great aspects to each of these descriptive names that I believe help in making us a better Believer or Christian. Children receive the Father's love and discipline. Sheep know His, The Shepherd's, voice. Friends are no longer servants because they are in the know when they need to know. Soldiers are on the winning side. The Bride will know the intimacies of The Son, along with a whale of an Eternal Party. 

Let us pay attention to what God calls us in Scripture, declaring the goodness of that name and becoming more like His Son everyday. 

Comments