As a result of the existence of sin - wrath is to come. The creation of The Lake of Fire was originally created solely for the fallen angels - “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. (Matthew 25:41). The last Roll Call at the Great White Throne Judgment will determine one's eternal destination, but many will know their condition well in advance of The Book of Life that is revealed and read here - damnation in The Lake of Fire (Revelation 20:11-15).
Before the final books are opened, wrath is to be administered by our Just God at certain times. Wrath will take the form of the execution of judgments in the future seven year Tribulation Period. The promise in Daniel 9:24 describes who and what the wrathful time to come is for.
- “Seventy ‘sevens’ are decreed for your people [Daniel's people/Jews] and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the Most Holy Place."
Colossians 3:5-6 lists some of the sins that God will be displaying His wrath in accordance -
- "Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming."
- "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son." (John 3:18)
In addition, wrath is being reserved for those same individuals who reject His plan for salvation once hearing it (Romans 2:5, 8). This is inevitable.
- "For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ." (1Thessalonians 5:9)
It is a matter of acceptance, declaration and lifestyle. "If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9) This is how one avoids God's Wrath. Don't do it and you are already storing up judgement for yourself.
Salvation was not only from sin that separates us from a perfect relationship with God, but unto all the benefits that come with a relationship with God that sin touched - like a perfect natural system, a perfect biological system, a perfect spiritual world. If people choose Christ now, they do not have to experience these future judgments of wrath with Jesus as The Righteous Judge. Instead, they will eventually experience everything saved and restored from it's sinful nature to it's original state and glorified even more through Christ Jesus The Lord.
Paul, in his first letter to the church in Thessalonica, told the believers many encouraging things he had heard about their local expression of Christ. However, one particular note of praise includes the promise of Jesus being the rescuer of Christians from a coming wrath one day.
- The Lord’s message rang out from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia—your faith in God has become known everywhere. Therefore we do not need to say anything about it, for they themselves report what kind of reception you gave us. They tell how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead—Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath. (1 Thessalonians 1:8-10)