Our emotions are a two-edged sword – they can help and hinder. In this instance I am equating weaknesses with emotions. I do realize there are other areas that have weaknesses (like attitudes, wrong thinking, negative speaking, non-helpful actions, etc.…). However, whenever we need emotional support, I know someone who can aid us – Jesus. God is not only love, but all other emotions perfected. Father God expressed those emotions through Jesus. The important observation is that Christ experienced all emotions, displayed all emotions and managed all emotions perfectly. Paul said it like this – “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are – yet He did not sin.” (Hebrews 4:15)
Jesus was passionate or excited in Matthew 4:10 and 16:23 as He addressed Satan. If you couldn't tell it by the words He used, just take a look at the punctuation - an exclamation mark - and you get the emotion.
In Matthew 8:10, Matthew actually records Jesus being astonished or amazed at the display of such great faith. Then over in Mark 6:6 Jesus is amazed at the exact opposite - their lack of faith.
- compassion (Matthew 9:36; 14:14; 15:32; 20:34),
- sarcasm (Matthew 15:16),
- thankfulness (Matthew 15:36),
- disgust (Matthew 16:17),
- irritation (Matthew 21:18-19),
- appreciation (Matthew 26:10-13),
- sorrow or distress (Matthew 26:37-38),
- holy anger (Mark 10:14 and Matthew 21:12-13),
- betrayal (Matthew 26:20-25),
- being forsaken (Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34),
- approved (an inferred emotion in Mark 1:11),
- aggravation or frustration (Matthew 17:14-18),
- love (agapo style - to love in a social/moral sense in Mark 10:21),
- and not pleased (Mark 16:14).
I show you Christ's emotions to set before you Father God’s heart. Jesus was not only sent by Father God but also one with Father God, acting out only what He saw or heard Father God doing or saying (John 14:9-11). Why do I grandstand Father God's heart through Jesus? Because no other god of any other faith has come in human form and experienced all the emotions that all of us have and did not sin. Jesus Christ experienced these emotions perfectly and responded to them perfectly SO THAT we might find help in Him when they become a challenge or weakness to us.