Battling The Ostrich Fever


Now-a-days I feel like playing the part of an ostrich and keeping my head stuck in the sand. Not that I am coping-out of life, but I find that every time I do retreat for a while and return to life – things and people have not changed. Christ Jesus even says in Luke 18:8 – “when the Son of Man returns, will He find faith on the earth?”

I take the pessimistic view in answering that question. Sure, there will be faith when Christ returns, but not like The Lord desires. I believe we are in the Laodicean church age – the luke-warm church age spoken of in Revelation 3:14-22. I have heard it said that Christ is coming back for a spotless bride. Those that call Him Lord and Savior and live accordingly are already made spotlessin regard to their salvation. However, this side of Heaven there is no way Christians can attain a spotless condition – in regard to their works or deeds. We are battling with nature, nurture, Satan and self. The only times The Bride is made spotless are many years ago at Calvary and The Bema Seat or Judgment Seat of Christ after The Rapture. Will Christ find faith when He returns? What would be even better is for Him to find a marriage of the Christian’s faith and his/hers works or deeds (James 2:14-26).

Battling The Ostrich Fever/View, I find myself being encouraged by all the “watch” Scriptures the Bible mentions for Christ’s return. However, the one that immediately comes to mind is The Lord’s words in Luke 21:28 – “When these things begin to take place, stand up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.” In the face of awful events in history – “these things” - this is a verse filled with hope – “your redemption is drawing near”. Some events have happened, others are happening and the rest are bound to happen. There is one passage that resembles the headlines of newspapers and news programs everyday – 2 Timothy 3:1-5.

“But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.”


So, even though our problems are identifiable and I may feel like burying my head in the sand - the fact that they are happening more frequent and more intense, as in labor pains, has me excited and sad about these times as I stand, lift up my head and watch for my soon coming Redeemer.

Comments