THESE ARE SOME OF MY FAVORITE THINGS


"When the dog bites, 
When the bee stings,
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel so bad." 
(Julie Andrews, My Favorite Things from "The Sound of Music")

I agree, it is important to have favorite things, especially in challenging times. Some of my favorite things are Tanya, laughter, singing/music, certain food (like wings, bbq and chicken-n-dumplins), family, friends, sports, Christmas, Easter, the seasons (especially Fall), and saving the best for last - God's Grace.

If it was not for God's Grace, His unmerited favor, in all these areas and more, well the song would say - "when I'm feeling sad, I simply can't remember my favorite things." But it doesn't say that because I have God's undeserving favor upon my life. I have done nothing to earn any of these wonderful people or things - they are just a gift from my God because He loves me.

It is a good thing to stop and count your blessings. Others might phrase it "Stop and Smell the Roses". However you wish to say it, a pause in life to thank The Giver/Creator of "these favorite things" is always a healthy (reviving/refreshing) meditation. It does not have to be Thanksgiving to give thanks or be grateful. Paul admonishes through Hebrews 13:15 - Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.

So Lord,
I publicly thank you and praise you for everything. In particular, I thank you for my wife, Tanya, laughter, singing/music, certain food (like wings, bbq and chicken-n-dumplins), family, friends, sports, Christmas, Easter, the seasons (especially Fall), and saving the best for last - your Grace that supplies all my needs and promises me a blessed eternal life with you in Heaven one day. I thank you for all this and more, but I start with these, because - These Are Some Of My Favorite Things!

Amen

Comments