TRY REMEMBERING


There is a gripe I have that I wondered if God shared with me. I feel strongly and practice to the best of my ability - Remembering. What did you say? Exactly my point! Sarcasm included. There are important dates, times, and events that I share with family and friends who turn around and forget what I have shared with them. The forgetfulness can be on the scale of covering several weeks with me reminding them within those weeks to just forgetting five minutes ago. I forget things too. However, there seems to be a lot of forgetting with me and what I have been sharing with others lately.

I allow for people who have a busy schedule and know that the world does not revolve around me - I get that! However, when this happens repeatedly with the same people, I begin to wonder if they sincerely care. Doesn't it mean the world to you when you have shared personal information with someone you trust and they check up on that subject with you later on, especially when you least expect it? It shows they have paid attention to you in the first place and cared enough to commit it to memory FOR REGURGITATION later on.

In Scripture, the word remember is found throughout the Old and New Testaments. However, my study just drew from the New Testament. Here are some of my findings.
  • In Matthew 16:9, Jesus seems aggravated about forgetfulness. Do you still not understand? Don't you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered? 
  • In 2 Thessalonians 2:5, Paul also exemplifies this air of aggravation. Don't you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things?
So, praise God I am not alone! Now that I know I am not Biblically alone, I know that with Jesus and Paul disturbed about followers remembering - this matters! So, what are some things we need to remember about remembering?
  • Use remembering as a future source of gaining direction. John records in his Gospel, 16:4, Jesus telling us that remembering is key for His Plan later on in our life. I have told you this, so that when the time comes you will remember that I warned you. I did not tell you this at first because I was with you.
  • Utilize your recall ability to retrieve the memories of people who have helped and supported you. This brings a great appreciation for the relationships God has blessed you with. Paul describes remembering as a pleasant enough experience to thank God for someone (Philippians 1:3). I thank my God every time I remember you.
  • Practice remembering as a mechanism to enter into prayer for someone. Paul describes remembering as a tool for prayer in Colossians 4:18I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand. Remember my chains. Grace be with you.
  • There are even certain people to remember. Paul emphasizes remembering your Christian leaders and imitating their faith in Hebrews 13:7Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.
  • Then John touches on remembering in Revelation. He views remembering as a retro-spective measure to appreciate how much you have lost and gained. Remember the height from which you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. (Revelation 2:5)
  • John also uses remember as a first step that then spurs one on to action. Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. (Revelation 3:3)
Wow! So, I encourage you - when engaged in dialogue with friends, Romans, Counrtymen (a little sidetracked there).....ANYBODY - do your best every time to make eye contact, pay attention, soak up what they are saying and Remember. Why? Because Remembering confirms to somebody they make a difference or influence in your life and in this world. It ministers to the heart deeply. In the effort of "Loving God, By Loving Others and Serving God, By Serving Others" (my church's mission statement).... Try Remembering.

Comments