SALT OR FRESH WATER SPRING?


What kind of water spring do you have flowing from your speech, flowing from your life? Are your words like salt to wounds and contain a sting or sarcasm that is hurtful? Is your life full of bitterness or a judgmental spirit that nobody enjoys keeping company with? Or when you speak do your words resemble fresh water, the kind that is encouraging, uplifting and supportive in it's nature? Is your life pouring out and drenching others with "pure, peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy, good, impartial and sincere" (James 3:17) actions? James 3:7-12 explains it like this.......

James 3:7-12

All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and saltwater flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Yes, Christians are called to be the Salt of the earth. However, these two phrases or conditions have their differences - salt of the earth and salt spring. The phrase salt of the earth refers to something Christians should be or apply themselves to be toward "earth" or humanity in order to improve the world. I believe the phrase salt spring refers to words and actions that should not reside within the believer because fresh water is made to appear in the verse above as comparable to the praise and goodness that should come out of our mouths.

I have known people and even dated a person whose every other comment had a critical, sarcastic, negative bite to it. I confess. I am not perfect either. At times, not often, I have done the same. My spring is a fresh water spring, but sometimes my salt water filter fails because I don't start the day off meeting the Man At The Well. In Other Words.......I have the potential to say and do the right things because of the Holy Spirit living within me, but I choose my words or actions because I did not start off the day proper by thanking Jesus (The Man At The Well) for the day and asking His guidance and blessing over my thoughts, words, and actions. So, which are you - a Salt Or Fresh Water Spring?


Comments