Cair Paravel Throne Room (Narnia)
What does it mean for the Believers in Christ to read we will reign with Christ? Reigning with Christ can be found in 2 Timothy 2:12, Revelation 5:10, Revelation 20:6, and Revelation 22:5. Although the timing of reigning with Christ is future when looking at the Revelation references, I believe Christians can begin to practice their authority in Christ this side of the next chapter (Rapture).
All the Revelation selections above have as their original Greek word for "reign" - basileuo - which means king; to rule; or In Other Words....Reigners. The 2 Timothy 2:11-12 verse has as it's original Greek word for "reign" - sumbasileuo - meaning to be co-regent.
"Here is a trustworthy saying: If we died with him, we will also live with him; if we endure, we will also reign with him."
The original Greek word for "endure" in this verse is hupomeno and means to tarry behind, remain, or persevere. The impression then is that while we are still on the earth, if we maintain a servant's heart, workman's attitude and availability then we will also reign in life right now.
If I was to submit a Pritchard Paraphrase of 2 Timothy 2:11-12 it would read something like - Trust me when I say, if our old life died with Christ, we surely live because He lives also; and if we continue in the faith, working out our salvation with great respect and awe then He will work through us where we are to fulfill His will as co-regents.
I believe some keys to help Christians reign in this life and prepare us for reigning in the next life are found in BeAttitudes of Matthew 5:1-12.
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
- Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Against such things there is no law.
Christians, the time to practice the Be-Attitudes has long been passed, so begin if you have not already. Brothers and sisters in Christ, the time to show all the fruits of The Spirit is now. "God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus." - Ephesians 2:6-7 Fellow believers now is the time for us to begin Reigning With Christ.