A VERSE TO HOLD ON TO

I have been sick since New Years Day (it is now January 16th).  I have prayed for a quicker release from this crud on an annual basis, but every year I have to let this stuff run it's course.  This year it seems particularly lengthy.  I don't have the flu, just a nasty - throat, head, sinus cold that is keeping me from plans I had.  Again, I have prayed and my wife and parents have prayed for me, yet once again it looks as though this "bug" will not be stopped short of it's full course.  I don't understand God's healing strategy for me and for a whole host of others in this same "boat".

I rebuke the notion that I am not exercising enough faith.  That reeks of condemnation and God through Paul said in his letter to the Romans - "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus," (8:1).

I have been believing in Isaiah 53:5, as many Christians do when sickness or a physical challenge presents itself.  "But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed."  But not only is God slow to anger (Ex.34:6), it seems He is slow in healing.

Last night I vented this to my earthly father.  At the end of our discussion he said, "I love you."  That was just what the doctor ordered!  It transferred in my spirit over to Father God's voice and I proceed to go to my room and have a heart-to-heart with the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit reminded me of Pastor Dial's last sermon - True Worship - and his bodily example on stage of being flat on our face, stretched out and surrendered before God.  So, I followed suite.  As I did, the Holy Spirit prompted me to just begin focusing on what Jesus has already accomplished for me in my life and praise Him.  So, I was there for a while.

Toward the end of my time with the Holy Spirit, The Holy Spirit dropped a verse for me to hold on to during this experience and I'm sure others to come.  Allow me to give you my paraphrase of the verse first.

There will be times when we experience small troubles compared to others (light) and troubles that we know that "this to shall pass" (momentary).  However, these troubles are working on our behalf (achieving for us) to store up some kind of heavenly reward that far exceeds the summation of our earthly troubles (an eternal glory that far outweighs them all).

I hinted at the verse in parenthesis, so here is the actual verse out of 2 Corinthians 4:17 -
"For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."

To all Believers who have or may be going through this or other kinds of difficult times...be encouraged.  And try worshiping in the midst of your "storm", I'm sure the Comforter (Holy Spirit) will Comfort.


Comments