MY HERO


I have heard it said that there are only seven types of stories to ever be told and we just keep re-inventing ways to retell those same stories.

1.      Defeating a threatening force = Overcoming (the Monster)
2.      A group in search of something = The Quest
3.      Main character journeys away from comfort zone to experience change for the better and then return = Journey and Return
4.      Main characters are split up at start due to misunderstanding, confusion, misdirection, but by the end are brought back together = ?
5.      Someone is tempted, trapped by their own actions, then dies = Tragedy
6.      Main character is oppressed throughout and when all hope seems lost, he/she is freed = Rebirth
7.      Rags to Riches

However, for the longest time now, at least in my memory, Hero or Superhero movies have been doing quite well.  What do all these hero/superhero movies mean (when observing society in between the lines)?  Can’t you hear Bonnie Tyler singing her song even now – 

“I need a hero, I’m holding out for a hero till the end of the night, he’s got to be strong and he’s got to be fast, and he’s got to be fresh from the fight, I need a hero, I’m holding out for a hero till the morning light, he’s got to be sure, and it’s got to be soon, and he’s got to be larger than life,” larger than life.”


We all have a hero if we look outside ourselves.  Did you catch that previous sentence?  There have been songs about the hero within us just waiting to burst out, but if we are the ultimate definition or authority on life then we really are doomed.  Society uses this designation of Hero lightly and often.  I guess it comes down to your definition and standard of Hero.

A Hero, to me, is a title reserved only for one individual.  My Hero is someone who did not have to be my hero, but knowing the condition and price He chose to be my Hero anyway.  He freely gave up His life for my condition (body, mind, and spirit) and then gave me the opportunity to accept or reject His Heroic Act for me.

A “Superhero”, to me, is all that a Hero is plus a cheater of death and someone who desires communication/relationship with me.  This “Superhero” actually lived, taught, healed, performed miracles, took beatings for our healings, died for our broken relationship with The One and Only God, and rose again from death, hell, and the grave.  This Superhero is alive and well.  He appeared to many and taught many immediately after his resurrection and now sits at the right hand of The One who sent Him, making intercession for those who choose to believe in his heroism for their lives.  His name is not Clark Kent of Smallville or Metropolis (a.k.a. Superman).  His name is infinitely better – Jesus of Nazareth (a.k.a. Son of God)! 



Comments